Sunday, November 18, 2007
What is it that God is obsessed with? What is it that makes the "heart" of the omnipotent throb? Perhaps discovering what obsessed the mind of a man whose heart was like God's will prove a fruitful study.
The Bible says that David was a man after God's own heart (1 Sam 13:14, Acts 13:22).
And the Davidian obsession was...the sanctuary. Here's why I think so.
1. He really really wanted to build the sanctuary, but God said no.
(2 Sam 7)
2. He saved up all his money and was the source of the funding for Solomon's temple."set my affection on the house of God"
(1 Chron 29:1-4, Mat 6:21, Luk 12:34)
3. He writes of the sanctuary over and over again in the Psalms, here are a few eg's:
Psalm 63 -in a land devoid of the water of life, the sanctuary restores his soul
Psalm 73 -didn't understand until he went into the sanctuary
Psalm 77 -God's way is in the sanctuary
4. Organized all the priests of the temple for Solomon (1 Chron 23,24).
5. He drew up the plans for the sanctuary, "which God showed him" (1 Chron 28:11-19)
How does the sanctuary show what makes God tick?
The sanctuary is the way back to heaven. Once we get to heaven the sanctuary is gone (Rev 21:22). Why? Because it has served its purpose. The obsession of God, like David, is the sanctuary. More specifically it is the end, which the means or the sanctuary provides that is the reason that the sanctuary is God's obsession. And the ends, well, that was the joy set before Christ (Heb 12:2, Isa 53:11), the jewels that make up the crowns of evangelists, bible workers, and pastors (Mal 3:17, 1 Thess 2:19), one of only two things that we can take to heaven, something that won't be able to be numbered (Rev 7:9)......SOULS, that is God's obsession, that was David's obsession, is it your obsession?